Thursday, September 24, 2009

Pamela Michelle Johnson

An ex-civil engineer working on scrumptious aimed-at-your-tummy oil paintings is exactly what I am talking about!

Pamela Michelle Johnson soon made this tremendous switch from her career as a civil engineer to a full-time artist after her significant trip to Japan where she was awarded an artist in residency at The Institute of Ceramic Studies at Shigaraki Ceramic Cultural Park in Shigaraki, Japan (2003).

She writes in her statement 'Teetering towers of hamburgers, drippy stacks of syrupy waffles, sticky piles of sugary candy... Junk food. It's the taste of America. It is what we eat. It is who we are.'

I do agree with Pamela and you know what - if I had 42" by 72" painted canvas of drippy stacks of syrupy waffles cascading down my kitchen ceiling, um, I would simply rest all my dietary ideals and either gorge down an entire stack of this deliciousness or I'd stare at Pamela's painting until my stomach fell sick with syrup. I am not exaggerating. I am absolutely mesmerized by her content, style, and scale depiction.

The royal colors, glistening highlights on mouthwatering jelly sandwiches and candies, abandoned Entenmann's half-eaten pies, those forbidden Hostess snack cakes conjure up only one word - gluttony. Two words. Insatiable gluttony.

I guess Pamela's work has successfully evoked all those feelings that she intended to. Check out her bio, statement, and her great site pamelamichellejohnson.com.

Thank you so much for allowing me to feature you and your stunning art. I am left speechless with a poptart stuffed mouth. Ah! The guilty pleasures.


WAFFLES /
42"x72" / oil on canvas / 2007



VALENTINES /
26"x26" / oil on canvas / 2009



STARLIGHT MINTS /
40"x26" / oil on canvas / 2008



SARAH/
conte crayon on paper / 2006



POPS /
20"x20" / oil on canvas / 2009



PB&J II /
44"x58" / oil on canvas / 2009



UNTITLED /
36"x72" / oil on canvas / 2009




ICE CREAM SANDWICHES /
52"x48" / oil on canvas / 2009



HOSTESS CUPCAKE II / 34"x52" / oil on canvas / 2009



GUMMI BEARS /
72"x30" / oil on canvas / 2008



FROOT LOOPS /
20"x20"/ oil on canvas / 2009



BUNNIES / 50"x46" / oil on canvas / 2009



COOL RANCH /
20"x20" / oil on canvas / 2009



CIRCUS ANIMALS /
52"x52" / oil on canvas / 2008



UNTITLED /
54"x35" / oil on canvas / 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment